MIB Role: Principal Contractor
Timescale: 50 Weeks
Contract: NEC 3 Option A
MacInnes Bros Ltd were awarded this contract by CNES and were appointed as Principal Contractor. The contract value was approximately £1.6million and was carried out under NEC 3 Option A contract conditions.
The main scope of works included:
• Full redesign of the existing small fishing pier at Ardveenish, Isle of Barra.
• Rock blasting and breaking to allow the construction of the pier to commence (this work was subcontracted).
• Dredging of the seabed and re-using the dredged materials in the construction works at Ardveenish Harbour.
• Build a new road to provide access to the harbour from the existing side road at Ardveenish.
• Construction of a reinforced concrete quay wall and hardstanding.
• Installation of mooring piles.
• All mechanical and electrical works, installation of services and utilities.
• Completion of all landscaping, surfacing works, road markings and installation of deck furniture.
With the project being undertaken on the Isle of Barra, MIB used local ferries to transport employees and plant. Employees used local accommodation in Barra during the week to ensure maximum hours and production on site. Forward planning throughout the contract allowed MIB to arrange the required machinery to be transported to site so as not to delay any works. Weather conditions, peak season traffic and tonnage limits on the ferries were all obstacles when shipping plant to Barra.
The construction of the pier was carried out in extremely challenging environmental conditions. There was a constant battle to attempt to keep water out with the excavated area in order to install the mooring piles. The hire of several large pumps which were transported from the mainland, constantly battled the tide levels until they eventually succeeded in clearing the area from water long enough for the piling to be carried out.
Some drilling, blasting and excavation works were carried out in tidal waters. The quay wall was also required to be carried out in tidal conditions however, these works were managed in such a way that we worked with the ebb and flow of the tide.
The project was completed on time and within budget.